Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

'You Can't Always Get What You Want'



The moon is in the cake baking quarter at the moment. It goes through a variety of phases in my life. Sometimes sewing. Sometimes crochet. You get the gist. On Friday the cook books were perused and recipes chosen. The weekly big shop was due.

Now in Jersey you can't always get what you want. As the song goes. So true. I listed ingredients for two cakes, because at the back of my head lurked the thought that I wouldn't get all the  ingredients.

It's the middle of November and I had chosen Nigella's pumpkin bundt cake. It asked for a tin of puréed pumpkin. If I can't get tinned I thought, no doubt a fresh one might be hanging around.

Wrong. No fresh pumpkins madam, Halloween was two weeks ago. Sorry no tinned pumpkin purée. Why you ask? Supply problems. I felt a bit Victor Meldrewish at that point. The excuse of 'supply problems' is always trotted out on this island. I should be used to it.
Anyway, I had the back up recipe. Chocolate and lime, flourless cake. Delicious.
Saturday arrived and my poor bundt tin was begging to be used. One last try for a fresh pumpkin. You know the answer without me telling you. Then inspiration struck. Carrots. I bought a bunch, simmered them and hey presto carrot purée.

The cake was baked and the verdict delicious. Who needs pumpkins.

After all that effort and cake, a walk was called for. It had rained all day, but just before dusk the drizzle eased. The tide was high and pounding. Just what I needed to blow away the pumpkin cobwebs.

It started to rain again as night fell, but somehow it didn't matter. I had a warm home to return to plus a slice of cake.









Do you have supply problems at your local supermarket?

Barbara xxx

P.s. Ebeneezer loved all the kind comments on Friday :)

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar